With all that has gone on this last month I have to say that I'm so grateful for my children and the wonderful distraction they are from my sadness. They give me so much to live for and bring me such joy...for the most part.
The other night we were in our car on our way to my sister's house when Brock had to pull to the side of the road to let a speeding ambulance pass by. Colten started asking questions about the ambulance and where it was going. Brock and I tried to explain that someone must of called 911 because there was an emergency and needed help. I thought to myself that I really hadn't ever talked to Colten about 911 and how to dial it in case of an emergency. I figured at 5 1/2 and curious that this was a perfect opportunity to teach him. So in our 10 minute drive to my sisters house we talked about different kinds of emergencies that could happen and would have to call 911 for help. Such examples like...if someone was really hurt or if our house was on fire. By the time that we arrived at our destination, I figured Colten had a pretty good grasp on our little lesson and would be able to call 911 in case of an emergency.
So jump to the next day...I was in bed trying to take a nap, without much luck, when I heard the phone ring. I assumed Brock would answer it and didn't budge from my comfortable position on my bed. About a minute later Brock opened the door to our room and informed me that the 911 operator was just on the phone and told him our son called them and said our house was on fire. Given our conversation from the night before we both kind of smiled and shook our heads. Not even 2 minutes later we heard a Fire engine siren right outside our house. Yep...the fire department was responding to Colten's call. Colten came running into our room at that moment and hid under the covers next to me. Brock went out to talk to firemen while I hid out with Colten in our room. Brock tried to explain to the firemen about our talk the night before with our 5 year old son. They didn't seem to be too thrilled about the false alarm but understood our little mishap.
I hate that I didn't jump up and take a picture of the fire truck in front of our house. Oh well...but we did get to have another talk with Colten about the appropriate time to call 911.
Never a dull moment at the Petersen house!
4 comments:
Well, maybe the firemen didn't get a kick out of it, but I did. That is a great story that you will tell the rest of your life. haha!
I'm sure that scared Colten a bit though. I' don't think he'll ever make that mistake again! :)
OH NO! I shouldn't be laughing, but this is too hilarious (from a bi-stander, of course) not to. Brigit, that's classic. Colten will never live that one down.
This made me smile at what a scene that must have been. Oh to be a fly on the wall. This also made my heart happy to know that mommy and daddy are going to be OK.
How can they not be with little ones like Colten keeping them on their toes. And little Paige always being there to hug them. I love and miss you all so much.
Mom
I told Rob this story and we were busting up laughing! Remember it's funny because it happened to you and not me! My time will come...
Post a Comment