February 22, 2008

EARTHQUAKE in Wells










WELLS - Virtually every home and business in Wells sustained damage shortly after 6 Thursday morning when a 6.0 magnitude earthquake occurred roughly 11 miles southeast of this city 50 miles east of Elko. Despite widespread damage, particularly to the city's historic Front Street downtown district, only three injuries were reported and nobody has been reported missing.

Most of you know I grew up in Wells. It's a place I love dearly and holds so many fond memories of my youth. My sister Rachael still lives there with her family and luckily they sustained no major damage to their home. Everyone seems to be pretty shaken up, but remain positive. So far Alyssa & Jay (my niece and nephew) don't know where or when they will be finishing up their school year. The high school was pretty heavily damaged in the earthquake. This is terrible to think, but why didn't anything like this happen when I was in high school? Earthquakes are not common in Wells as far as I know. I don't ever remember one in all the time I lived there.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all my family and friends in Wells. Hang in there & we love you.

1 comment:

Matt and Amanda said...

Scary! I am glad they are ok!